Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Idea of Discussion

While pondering what to do with my day, some places I searched suggested keep up with current events. I don't pay attention to the news much because the news is junk. But I thought about it and staying informed is the only way to know what is going on.

Stay Informed

Fox, CNN, MTV, ESPN bla bla bla. Junk. NPR tries, but they do it in a really sissy way and they push an agenda as well. It is about finding quality news, or information material that seems good to you. I searched for German news sources and DW was one I found. I've heard of them for a long time. It has similarities to NPR.

Quality Information

I looked in the science section in DW and an article had the heading "Do-it-yourself biology or kitchen genetics" that caught my attention. It showed some young dude at home performing experiments. Those crafty Germans. Anyway, this is the type of stuff I am interested in for showing others you too can grow endangered species and help in conservation efforts.

 Interests to You

Everyone is smart... as they can be. Everyone has their own interests. If you like something, or like to talk about something, do some research on the topic. Doesn't matter what topic, it can be any topic, there is information out there beyond that of Wikipedia. For me, it will be science related stuff. I have a friend that was reading a blog regularly about plants and they were interesting. Whenever she explained a post to me, I was always defensive and my opinion was to shut it down. Noticing this about myself had me think why am I like that. I think it was just how I view her, but I read into some of the blogs and they were good. She had a good strategy to send me the article, not discuss it. After I read a few, I began to see this wasn't just her opinion, this was information she was getting from somewhere else.

Introduce Your Interests to Others

Once others start to read and become informed as well, then I think it is possible to have a discussion on the topic rather than blank from scratch opinions.

Discussion

The etiquette (a word I have never written before in my life?) of discussion is complex. But to keep it fun and polite, requires listening to the topic, think your initial opinion, then think to yourself your initial opinion is wrong. Maybe. Ok, I performed a quick search and it provided the idea to not take things personally and don't get personal. This makes good sense. I've gone to plant meetings and when I hear someone say I've seen this and that, it almost instantly cuts my interest off. There does seem to be a technique to keep an audience engaged.

Learn and Repeat

Articles are there and they sit still. Although they were formed by a mind, they are seen by just our minds. To bounce the article off a friend lets them bounce an opinion or thought back. Probably a thought different from our own. That is what makes the discussion great. Maybe. I'll have to try this. A lot can be learned here beyond the idea. The concept to present an idea, to engage others on the idea, and to both discuss the idea. Next I guess would be putting the idea to use and benefiting from the idea.

TeMarChi 12/26/2017

No comments:

Post a Comment