Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Venus Flytrap Seedlings 2017 - Welcome to 2018!

Venus Flytrap Seedlings 2017 - Welcome to 2018!
Venus Flytrap seedling cup from the 2017 Planting.


To recap, I collected venus flytrap seeds from my plant. From my 2017 Planting 63/80 venus flytrap seeds germinated (79%) within 8 cups. I used one cup to display these seedlings at the 2017 Cullowhee Native Plant Conference. I used another cup of seedlings for display at the New England Carnivorous Plant Conference. These cups were sealed at time of planting and not opened until the show. The other cups remained closed. Well that is until a few were opened for replanting!
Replanting supplies for the 2017 Venus Flytrap seedlings replanting 2/3/2018.

When I moved, 2 of the 8 cups were not looking good and they went into the compost. Still with 6 cups remaining, the seedlings seemed to do way better than my Sarracenia seedlings.
2017 Planting Venus Flytrap Seedlings, now 2018, in a cup.


February 3, 2018, the remaining venus fly trap seedlings were counted: 46!

I decided to replant 3 cups into a larger container.
Cup tags of the 2017 Planting Venus Flytrap Seedlings, now 2018, cup tags stuck on new container.
A penny for your thoughts: how big are these seedlings after a year of growth?
Venus Flytrap Seedling next to a penny (wonder if this shot will be passed alone through the internet). I like it!
They are small.
Penny and Venus Flytrap seedlings.
From the 3 cups, I tried to sort of plant the seedlings in rows.
2017 Seedlings replanted. 23 Venus Flytrap seedlings. Now 2/3/2018.
2017 Venus Flytrap seedlings in a cut milk jug with plastic wrap on top to lot in moisture.
Venus Flytrap seedlings in a cut milk jug with plastic wrap on top.
I think I really showcased the topic. I planted half of my 46 seedlings. 3 more cups to go for later.

The seedlings are about a year old. They were grown in a cold state, inside, under grow lights. Not the most ideal conditions. Also the soil is 50/50 sand and peat. Sand has practically no plant nutrients (as I determined from my portulaca planting). These plants need the power of sunlight and access to tiny bugs in order to get bigger. I could use a low concentration of fertilizer. Anyway, this dish is ready to meet the great outdoors. Lets see how many remain in 2019.

A note of the growth habit of the seedlings. Focus on the seedling and you can see a dead seedling beside it.
Venus flytrap seedling and the dead leaves it left behind.

Well actually, its not a dead seedling beside it. Those are dead leaves. I saw this on a number of seedlings. On the penny pictures, this habit can be seen. Seeds fall in a spot and grow. Are they doomed to live out where they fell for the end of their days? I think this seedling and others decided to try to grow to a better location. Sure it is slow, but being able to move a few millimeters could make all the difference. Maybe larger plants creep alone. Sarracenia might do this too. Other rhizome plants may be snaking alone after years of growth from their original location. Chance growth, or planned migration! Just some thoughts.

Thank you for reading. Comment if you would like. Have a Great day!

3 comments:

  1. I had no idea the seedling fly traps look like tiny miniatures of the parent plants!! This is fascinating. It must have been a painstaking process to move them into rows...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I just see this comment just now. I also didn't know they had tiny traps until I grew them. I think they are most vulnerable, more likely to die at this small stage due to drying out. I hope to get them big and give them away maybe. Thank you for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My coworker said, "that is one HUGE penny!!"

    ReplyDelete