Friday, July 5, 2019

Hymenocallis (Spider Lily) Pollen

7/5/2019

Genus Humenocallis.  This plant may be Hymenocallis caribaea, but identification of this plant was not conducted


Humenocallis - Spider Lily

 

Humenocallis - Spider Lily

 

A few anthers, the orange male part, were removed on the 4th of July 2019. Then placed into a coin holder and examined on 7/5/2019.

The coin holder acts as my slide for the microscope.

 

Then I looked at the pollen through the microscope at 40 times magnification.

Humenocallis Pollen 40x


Then at 100 times magnification.

Humenocallis Pollen 100x


I tried at 400 times magnification, but my equipment and set up was not good enough.

Humenocallis Pollen 400x


I would describe the pollen as orange and oblong. I would say this is large for pollen, but other pollen would be needed for comparison.

Pollen can be used to identify plants. My purpose here was to see what it looked like. I think it looked neat.

Thank you for viewing! Questions or issues, let me know! Comment if you would like!

Have a Great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment